Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lunch at St. Hughes and a trip to Chipping Norton

It has been a wonderful week with quiet days and lovely lunches. I had lunch with Adrian Moore (a professor of philosophy) at St. Hughes college. It was great as the professors and fellows have a fantastic lunch spread each day and eat at the head tables while the students have cafeteria fare. We had a nice conversation about St. Columba's church in regard to their youth programs and the service that they will be doing while I am in Bury St. Edmunds. I am a bit disappointed that I won't be able to participate and many families will be away on holiday when I return. It was an interesting position to be with a briliant scholar asking me questions for my expertise. I praise God for giving us each different gifts. I have to say that I did go to the bookshop and get Infinite by Adrian just to see the kind of work he does. He is currently finishing a four year project on the history of Metaphysics!

Thursday I took the day off and took the bus around to some of the local towns; Charlbury for a walk where I found an amazing garden and Chipping Norton where I had lunch in a local pub. Then the busride back to Woodstock where Winston Churchill was born. It was a beautiful day and very relaxing. I was glad for the company of my camera and took lots of pictures. I enjoyed the day and hope to see more of the country side in the weeks to come. the first picture here is from the Parish church in Charlbury. The second picture is from Chipping Norton and the third picture is from Woodstock.
Friday was a reading day and then I thought I would go into the City Center to use my computer at St. Columbas but when I checked in with the Administrator she wanted to have a conversation as she had a review that afternoon about which she was quite anxious. I was then able to sit in on the review which was interesting and really helped me see a dynamic in the pastoral/administration role that I would not have otherwise seen. Then I was off to a BBQ at Carla's house with several clergy friends from around the city. The day's schedule had been a bit tight so I was happy to help chop and prep for fajitas. Fun to serve Mexican food to Brits! The weather stayed nice enough for us to enjoy the new patio table and then after a bit of icecream and berries we were sufficiently chilled and moved inside.

Today the rain has come and I will enjoy a bus ride through the city to visit an elderly memeber of St. Columba's who quoted Jane Austin to me on the phone yesterday. Then I will return home for a dinner out with the Harris' and their friends.

I am learning a lot about myself, what pushes my buttons, what makes me hesitate and how to be alone in a crowd which is a growing edge for me. I know this whole experience will impact the way I do ministry in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Jane! I'm glad to see you are having an exciting (and challenging) time across the pond. I'm enjoying the updates...please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete