Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Afternoon in Cumnor







After tea I had my inaugural ride on a bus to the village of Cumnor where the second church is. From the bus stop to the church is a 10 minute walk through the village and I would have been fine but I attempted to keep my umbrella from getting caught in the rosebushes that had overgrown the wall. In so doing I ungracefully slipped off the side of the sidewalk and fell – I was very glad there were no cars on the road enroute to the church. I was unscathed excepted for a scratch on my left palm but will need to spend some time cleaning my jacket and my pride. I am told that I am getting a bicycle but I wonder if this is a good idea as I am not allowed to take advantage of the health care system here. I will do my best to be safe and know that tomorrow I will get to the bus station and figure out the bus system that has a stop right outside of the home I am staying in.


Anyway, the Cumnor congregation has recently completed a renovation project that focused on their sanctuary. They are using the completion of the project to celebrate and evangelize a bit by hosting different events. Today was a hymn sing that was well attended – almost all the seats filled (capacity is 50 I think). The 81 year old organist from St. Columba came to play the organ as the normal organist was unable to be there. It did take a while to clip open the hymnal pages but other than that he did a jolly good job (have to add the local flavor or you might doubt that I am really far away.)


After a lovely quick dinner at Carla and David's home (without the youth as that was last night) I was returned to my home to rest and reflect and get ready for a new day. I have not felt the affect of jet lag too much but… there is always tomorrow. I am generally determined
to be here and enjoy things and not to sleep. The dawn will come soon and I will be up and about early to take full advantage of the day. I think I will be with Glenda Appleton but that is dependent upon the Volcano – the Appleton's guest the Kransfields are scheduled to leave
Monday but the ash cloud may alter that. I will be happy to walk to Oxford along Botely Road and find the bus depot and get the right pass to get home and then to Carla's home on Tuesday.




I am glad to be there and have been warmly welcomed and am finding things quite comfortable. I know that I will learn a lot and will grow in my ability to serve God and guide people in their desire and ability to do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment