Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Walking along the River Thames

What a beautiful day again - they keep telling me there will be rain and I don't doubt it but I am enjoying the warm, clear weather now for sure. Before my 11 o'clock meeting I walked along the Thames and got to see several narrow boats in action - some used as houseboats, some as pleasure boats. After lunch I walked along the Christ Church Meadow and back along the Thames. There were young boys learning to play cricket - I have no idea how that game is played and so far anyone I ask says to stick with Football (soccer) and skip learning about cricket. I think I will take that advice. I walked so much that I have developed nice blisters on my heels, hence today will be spent arranging some visits to home bound parishioners and working on my independent study.


I saw this sign on a door in a room in Christ Church College and couldn't resist taking a picture through the window. It is the epitome of English attitude.

It is interesting here and I am learning more each day about these two very different congregations. I feel a bit out of it at times as I am calling on people who have no idea who I am or why I am here and I am not sure what they think of it all. It is a place to enrich my skills and to share God's love so it is all good even if my stomach turns up each time I place a call. I meet tonight with the City-wide Audit group and hopefully I will learn from them about the way church works in Oxford - well the way the non-Church of England works anyway. I have to say I am a bit nervous as I don't know anyone in the group but I do know where they are meeting and I know how to get there and home.

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! Now it is my turn to read and enjoy your adventures abroad. Great pictures too:) Love-Erik

    ReplyDelete