Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bank Holiday

Well yesterday (Monday) was a bank holiday - I am not quite sure what it is but I think it comes from the tradition of having a day off after Pentecost (Witsunday). Since the country is no longer very religious they just get the day off. It was a cold and overcast morning so I read and read and read and reflected on Sunday which was very nice.

I went to the Cumnor Church and because of a delightful Scottish woman Brioney, I went home with the Stops for lunch. Brian is a retired 2nd career URC minister and he and his wife were great last minute hosts. A glass of sweet sherry was a wonderful way to begin a Sunday afternoon. We had a pleasant conversation and Joan may be able to hook me up with the Refugee Ministry that has been happening in Oxford for the last 20 years or so.


The afternoon was spent on a long walk across the Hirst. The public walking paths go through farm fields and this is a picture of where I had jsut walked. I do not have a high comfort level with large farm animals and you can see the path that runs from top to bottom in the picutre- that's the path I had just walked down - the cows had just started to come in the field and I got out unharmed but with a bit of an accelerated heart beat. Cows are generally pretty dumb and these seem to be used to people walking through their fields but... I am not that kind of risk taker.


I walked through several fields and along the lane to see what I could seeI. The wild flowers are so similar to those in my childhood , clover and daiseys and vetch. I just didn't walk where there were sheep on the hills and famous ancient colleges in the distance.
I spent the evening watching Billy Elliot - I love BBC TV - no commercial breaks!!!! This movie highlighted what I have been noticing which is a stronger distinction between class here than in the States. I have noticed it in my walking around the city and traveling by bus as well. So far I have not noticed the racisim as much as classism here. More to discover so... you never know what I will find out as my journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment