Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 17



May 17, 2010
I did walk to the city this morning and late in the afternoon did find the bus station but thought that it was only for the national buses instead of for both local and national. I saw a lot on my walk that took me until 4:30 when Nigel and Glenda were coming back from Hethrow airport after dropping off the Kansfields for their flight that was delayed, but not canceled by the volcano. I found St Columba's first to get my bearings. You have to realize that St. Columba is not the place that very many people mark their route from, but for me it works.
I saw lots of the colleges – at least t hose parts that were open to the public. The skys were only partly cloudy and there was no rain so it was really nice. The colleges are beautiful, each ancient and unique with all the learning safely inside. Each quadrangle has been
the host to scholars for centuries. I have to say that the people walking around looked very normal. I did get to hear a beautiful concert by Anne L Ryan (http://www.movingtrone.com/) at St Michael at the North Gate. Her beautiful celtic voice bounced off the age ole stone of the
church and filled the space with life, light and energy. I think I will sleep well and know that tomorrow I get to brave the bus and get to Carla's where I can post this.

Obviously I am at Carla's (well maybe not to you but I know it) I have gotten my bus pass for the week and plan to take full advantage of it. Tomorrow will be back and forth between churches and "home" but then time on Thursday and Friday to prepare to preach at Cumnor on Sunday - it is communion and rededication of Elders so it can be short which may be difficult for me as it is Pentecost Sunday and I love Pentecost. I will keep it short and sweet and tell some of my story so they will know that the power of the Word of God came to me through stories from their own shores. The stories of faith have been shared through the generations and have called me to come to this place and reconnect with my roots. Should be fun.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is such a blessing to us all. Thank you for writing. I miss you and I wish you were here to chat, but this will have to do! Keep those pictures posting, too. See if you can get some nice Brit to take a photo of you so we can see how you are fairing.

    ReplyDelete