Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 15 - Ensconced




I will confess that I had typed this all up in Word but can't seem to cut and paste much to my frustration - anyway - here it is retyped.

I have arrived and obviously made it through customs and can stay for 6 months as long as I don't get sick or try to earn any money. I was picked up at the airport by Matthey, a photographaer who makes his living taking pictures of stars like Ozzy Ozborne and Bon Jovie and the like. He has had his work in National Geographic so he rates in my book for sure. A lovely drive around Hethrow a few times to pick up the motor way and we were off through the countryside toward Oxford and beyone to Cassington where Nigel Appleton lives. He, Nigel, was away in the Cambride area with his family saying their final goodbyes to his late Uncel. I was greeted by Norman and Mary Kansfield from Pennsylvania of all places. (Norman is the former president of New Brunswick Seminary and is now Theologian in Residence at Drew in NJ) They greeted me and took me around the town to see the church with its Norman baptismal font and knights burried in the floor. After that a stroll to the former Methodist Church (now owned by Nigel) and then to the pub for a bite of fish and chips. A delightful way to start my trip. A nap refreshed me and then we spebt a lovely afternoon with Nigel and his wife Glenda when they arrived home. A deliciuos pasta dinner and a glass of wine topped off the night.

I am staying at West End, the home of Francis and Rodger Harris. They are away so I have had their beautiful home to myself. I expect their daughter and friends to come home but am sure I will sleep right through it. THe home is really beautiful and quite large so I feel more like a queen than a student. Sunday will be a long day for sure with Nigel picking me at 10 for worship, church meeetings, Songs of Praise and tea in the afternoon. I am not sure what dinner will be but... I doubt I will go hungry. I expect to sleep on Monday but don't want to because there is so much to see and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment