Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Bury Last Days

From Sidmouth Dorothy and I travelled by bus to Cambridge where Jo French collected us for a few nights of happy times in their home. A delicious roast pork dinner was waiting for our arrival and we were quite happily settled in. Saturday found us with a 1pm flight time from Rattelsden field but we needed cash and a few things from market so Dorothy and I dashed up to town with a dip into St. Mary's and back on the sidewalk were we were so happy to run into (figuratively of course), Sam and Cecil White! Then in the market there were Walter and Myra Clelland! I am so glad Bury is a small town. Marketing done, money in hand we returned for a quick lunch and a drive to the field - Dorothy and I were both scheduled for glider trial flights from the same airfield that our father used in WWII. We were told that we could either take the lesson or pictures so I opted for the lesson and Dorothy opted for pictures - I went first and this is how I felt once I was strapped into my parachute and knew that it was for real. The tug plane dragged us along the runway and before it was off the ground we were airborne - Kevin (the instructor and I that is) We climbed for a bit and then he pulled cord to break the connection with the tow rope and we were on our own. We climbed and climbed on a thermal updraft with Kevin showing me how the glider worked. Round and round and a few too many rounds for me and I began to feel a bit green around the gills but... we straightened out and I was able to fly the glider. I used the sugar beet factory in Bury as my landmark and we flew for a while - the wind pushes you around and you have to constantly make adjustments. It was exciting and I wasn't really nervous at all. I was glad that Kevin was there to guide me and then to land the gilder when it was time. We were airborne for a good half hour and I really liked it - the view was spectacular and the quiet of the ride was beautiful. Unfortunately the wind had picked up so Dorothy wasn't able to go. We did check back on Sunday and still too much wind - There is hope for Monday as the weather all day Sunday has been blustery and hopefully the night will bring clear bright skies.

This morning (Sunday) Jo was so kind as to drive us to Sudbury to worship were Thomas Sowter preached. It was a joy to be there and to see folks one last time. Evidently my story did make it in the local paper so the church got some good publicity. I will have to wait to see the article. Since the flight wasn't an option for the afternoon I called on the Sinclairs and off we went for afternoon coffee and a delightful visit. Ian provided us with the atlas that allowed up to navigate all the way to Scotland and down to Devon so we owed him our great thanks and, of course, I wanted to see them again. So... I have done all that I can to take full advantage of my time here and it has been a joy to share this place in my heart with my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment