Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good byes and God Bless

Today was my last day in Oxford. It is hard to believe that 13 weeks have already flown by. I had the honor and privilege to share in the worship service this morning at St. Columba's. It was a full service with goodbyes to Kaishu and Anna, members of the church who are moving to Helsinki, Finland and the ordination of two wonderful women as elders and communion. They also were so kind as to recognize my parting. The afternoon was spent with Larry and Dorothy and a walk along the Thames to the Perch in Binsey and then home again so that Wilson and Ruth Sutherland could collect us to go to Cumnor for my final site committee meeting. My site committee was made up of members of both congregations and is yet another witness of the power of congregations working together and supporting one another and the ministry of the wider church. My ministry was affirmed and I was given guidance and blessings. This has been such a wonderful experience in so many different ways. I have learned about ministry in very different contexts than I have experienced in the States and I have learned a lot about my self and that will inform my ministry and my life. I really appreciate all 6 different congregations that I worked with this summer and am thankful to the many different clergy that I met and learned from but especially for Carla, Sam and Mary. The members of the congregations and the communities of Oxford, Cumnor, Bury St. Edmunds, Sudbury, Long Melford, and Cavendish are part of the cloud of witnesses that will help me run the race set before me. The value of their support and encouragement, guidance and critique cannot be overestimated. As the commercials say - "It is priceless." My deepest appreciation and gratitude for your support. You have been a blessing to me and I believe to countless others. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed being an armchair traveler with you this summer. Your blog has been great. I've appreciated all your posts, Mary Jane. Thanks for sharing this with us. And my goodness, what an experience this has been for you. This will filter through every part of your ministry. Glad you could take advantage of the opportunity.
    Safe travels and happy landing back in Cheeseland, USA. And good luck gearing up for another year of seminary. Glad we can stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete