Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sundy Review

I was so excited yesterday that Dorothy and Paul had arrived that I forgot to reflect on how the worship service went on Sunday. I think it went ok. I liked the way the hymns and prayers and message all hung together so that worked for me. I find selecting the music challenging because I don't always know what hymns the congregation knows as well as the fact that the books they generally sing from have no music so.... I don't know the tune at all. Fortunately there were two new songs (always good for a congregation I think) and the tunes were very singable, which has not been my experience with some English hymns. I think American hymnody and English hymnody is just different enough. I am always challenged by the music and as much as I really love the old, traditional hymns I don't think they are very attractive to younger people. There are times I look around the room and think - these folks grew up on Jimi Hendrix and Elvis and such and there is no influence (that I see) of that kind of musical style. Now I know that people have wide ranges in musical styles so.... just my little rant for the morning. The picture is of St. Columba's Church before worship started.
I enjoyed helping the congregation realize their youth as I had them recalculate their age before I did the children's message. This is easy, just take the two digits of your age, add them together and if the sum has two digits add them together again. This way there is no congregation with anyone over the age of 9! Brilliant! (Plus it really messes with the national offices when you have to send in the congregational statistics!) I shared a story that I love, and I think I did a good job with but it was perhaps a bit long for the situation - with no way to really shorten it so.... I live and learn. My sermon went ok - delivery confident, only briefly lost my place but I think I try to fit too much in. In my preparation I see the connections between the scriptures and that excites me but I don't have the polished skill yet to translate my "ah ha!" to the sermon itself. Perhaps 15 minutes it too short - but then, if it doesn't hang together well, 15 minutes can be too long! Thomas Sowter used to preach for 45+ minutes - now that would be too long!

I liked leading worship and I think that when I am settled in a single congregation and can really develop relationships and connection with the mission and ministry of the congregation I will be ok. Format, flow and cohesiveness will improve with time, and the power of the Holy Spirit. I look forward, in a way, to this week as I will work with Carla to do a form of dialog sermon for next week. Next week's service will be full - communion and ordination of elders and farewells to several people who will be leaving the congregation for other adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment