Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sidmouth Surprises

Well, the weeks have flown by and now I am in Bury St. Edmunds again for my final days in England. But - the week in Sidmouth was not without wonderful surprises that must be shared first. The first part of the week found me crashed out with fever and chills and fatigue in general unable and unwilling to leave my bed for a better part of the day Monday and then only to wander to the beach to bask like a seal in the sun on the rocks. Solar therapy didn't work as quickly as I hoped so most of the week I felt poorly but.... this was not going to spoil my visit - I mustered as much strength as I could and did a bit of walking around town and then even drove to Dartmoor National Park - basically to find a small town, Chagford, where Eustace initially retired to. Driving on the M-5 was a breeze - then smaller, and smaller, and smaller and yes smaller roads led to Chagford - at one point I was on a bridge with another car mirror to mirror and almost scraping the side of the bridge with the door and there was an ambulance behind me. I had to move! Nerves of steel and closed eyes helped - for Larry anyway - and I simply slid on by and off to the side. Chagford is beautiful, ancient and little. We asked about Eustace's home as many of the homes have names that are retained by subsequent owners. The postmistress was able to sort us out and give us directions. Not trusting our ability to follow her detailed -turn right after the hedgerow with the brown things after the brown house, then right after you cross the stream and such - we bought an Ordnance map for security. Well prepared and very ignorant we started off down the road and down it went at a steep grade, narrow road, sewer truck coming up the road - breathe, breathe, keep breathing and put it in reverse - now this is driving according to the postmistress. Well this was just the start - two bridges later and a sign that was a lie - said the road was 7 feet wide - no way! I lost my gumption and had to turn back without seeing the house. Dorothy reminded me later that when Eusatce move there the truck with their furniture couldn't get there so they had to unload and bring things in by horse and cart - what a joy when some things never change. If I ever go back I am hiring an 18 year old boy with his own truck to take me there! I did buy the decal from Chagford to put on my car at home - I earned it!

Rainy Wednesday - no really gale force, blustery, driving rain day we headed happily off to Lyme Regis for an adventure. We were really successful at finding the town and getting very wet. We went to the museum and of course I got in free because of my student ID! There are some benefits to be enjoyed, even so far away. Dry was good except I still wasn't feeling well and had to make use of every public facility available and none were in the museum. Out into the weather because of ill health doesn't make much sense but, a girl has to do what a girl has to do. I did manage to make it to the Cobb and walk out - foolish but so was Louisa Musgrove and she got to be famous in a book. (I don't care if she is ficticious - she was there as far as I am concerned.) Up the hill to the car and home to be dry. The night dawned - does a night dawn? not really but you know - fell? started?? Anyway after 7 the weather changed and the air cleared and we walked on the Front - that is what one does in Sidmouth if it is not a howling storm - no wait - it is what people always do regardless of the weather in Sidmouth - a walk on the Front is a daily requirement - so.... walking we went and the storm of the day was still raging at sea and the waves crashed and displayed their power like musclemen at Venice Beach - one wave trying to out do the other with height, with the ability to toss rocks on the Esplanade, with the ability to shower unsuspecting tourists (locals are much too bright to be taken in by a lull in the action) so.... we saw the full show and then some and loved every minute of it.

Thursday was the day I had been waiting for - this was the day we were going to meet Vic. Vic had been a student of great grandfather Eustace Sowter and we were all meeting at Green Garth to remember and learn about a wonderful man. It was amazing to meet Vic. His vitality, love of life, postitive attitude and fond memories of Mr. Sowter were a joy. He said that next to Jesus, Mr. Sowter was number 2! What a blessing. He shared stories about coming to Mr. Sowter's house with his two little sisters when he was only 8 to enquire about Sunday School. Mr. Sowter told them to be at the corner of their road at 8:45 on Sunday and he would collect them. This began a weekly ritual of walking up Salcombe Hill Road to worship, one little girl holding each hand and Vic walking alongside. Stories of God and nature filled their walks which became a very important part of "going to church." I am truly blessed to have met him and to now have an even more detailed picture of the man whose faith has shaped mine. God is so very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment