Sunday, August 1, 2010

still proud - maybe more so

Well, I have been thinking about the George and Dragon Friendly society and so I did some research - George and Dragon is a pub which I mentioned and I have it on good authority that Eustace, who wrote the Journal that I am working from was a teetotaler (didn't drink) so I thought, perhpas he didn't know what the George and Dragon was - then I remembered that, at least in my expereince, the English are not too creative with Pub names - there seems to be the Lamb and Flag, The Bear, the Eight Bells and so on in each town so.... chances that he didn't know what the George and Dragon was is slim. Then I used the power of the internet to realize why I should be even prouder of Charles Sowter. Friendly Societies were mutual aid societies in the day before any form of insurance. People gathered, often time folks of the same class or professional groups and and all paid some fee. I am not sure if there were regular dues or what but the money went into a pool for investments of some sort - this is the pre-401K days, pre-National Health System, pre-Life Insurance or widow benefits. So... Charles was Master of the George and Dragon Friendly society for 26 years - people trusted him with their lives, the financial well being of their families in case of an untimely death and so on. Perhaps Charles lifted a pint or two in the George and Dragon, I certainly will but he also cared for others in very real ways and for both, I am indeed proud.

This is what happens when you pick your nose in public!

1 comment:

  1. Remember, "pub" is short for "public house." Back in Charles' day (and still today to some degree in some places) pubs were more community centers than taverns. Very family-friendly places that offered meals and rooms as well. So the Friendly Society being named after the "local" was probably no big surprise to Eustace the teetotaler.

    ReplyDelete