Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July In England isn't a Holiday

Well, it has been a great week with lots of adventures. I spent last week with Ian and Morag Sinclare and was treated like royalty - I enjoyed watching Wimbeldon action with people who love the game - of course I wasn't in the stands but enjoyed the games anyway.

Wednesday I spent at the hospital and found the diversity of the day of a chaplain interesting. I was impressed at the way the Chaplain was working with different departments in the hospital to find ways to provide for spiritual nurture of the patients and their families and the staff of the hospital. He is creative and responsive and has an amazing newsletter each month. I will look forward to reading future copies to enrich my understanding of pastoral care issues related to health and well being.

Friday I had a wonderful day traveling with Walter and Myra Cleeland. They took me to Felixstowe to see the port where thousands of containers are put on ships to travel the world. It was amazing to see the automated systems for moving the containers. Walter worked on one expansion of the docks years ago and it was interesting to hear his take on the expansion since his days.
They then drove me to Saxmunham where my family has Bright roots. My great great grandmother was born in Saxmundham and it was there that the family, a generation before had a jewelry shop that has been in continuous operation since 1769. I did make a purchase there even though my family has long relinquished its ownership. I didn't get the greatest pictures but the current owner was aware of the family and was excited to meet me. She sent me off to the Museum down the road to see the Bright corner. There I saw a clock that was built by my great great great grandfather, Jerome Denny Bright. It was fun to find a whole corner of the museum dedicated to my relatives. The women in the museum were able to tell us where the Congregational church in town was and where the Congregational church in Rendham was as that was where the Brights were members. Thomas Sowter was the pastor in Saxmundham so I saw that church and then Walter whisked me towards Rendham where we found the cemetery with the help of someone from the Church of England. The cemetery had been moved and I couldn't find the stones I was looking for. I looked across the street and noticed that the house looked like an old meeting house. The gate was open and the door was open and a lovely little dog came out barking and scared me half to death. The owner, Rose came out and welcomed me in to see the church that is now her home. The amazing thing about her story was that she grew up in the area and moved to New Zealand and married. She moved back to Suffolk and together they bought the church. Her mother-in-law was reading the church history and realized that her family had donated lots of the money to build the church before they moved to New Zealand. Who would have thought!


Next was a trip back to Saxmundham to find Park Cottage. Jerome Denny Bright lived at Park Cottage and we have stories about him washing up under the pump in the garden. Walter and I knocked on the door and a frail elderly man opened the door. We told him who we were and why we were interested in his home. He invited us in and was delighted to have stories that might help date the house as all the deeds have been lost. It was great to see his eyes sparkle and to look at the home he created that was filled with his art and music. I am so glad to have met him. I am so amazed at how searching for family stories has opened so many doors.


After Saxmundam we drove to Alburgh and Southwold to see the Sea. It was great to be at the North Sea and have the cool breeze on a very hot day. We walked along the front and I loved seeing the bathing cottages. These tiny sheds with no water or electricity sell for 10,000 pounds! Add to that the rent for the land and you are talking a pretty penny for a place to store a chair and you swim suit. Evidently they are quite popular and they don't have any trouble selling them - I think the trouble is trying to find one to buy. A refreshing shandy in the pub and a drive through the countryside back to Bury St. Edmunds for a yummy dinner and the end of a fantastic day!

Saturday was spent at Clare Priory for a West Suffolk Group away day. This a time for fellowhsip and spiritual growth for eight small congregations. There were workshops as well as time to enjoy the Priory which was established in 1400 or so. It was lovely setting and the workshops were fun - I actually painted a water color picture and realized that I have not lost the skill I had in 6th grade - haven't improved since then either but... it was for growth not sale so I am ok.

Sunday, the 4th of July was just another day in England, no parades, no fireworks, no hot dogs or apple pie. I survived and shared a worship service with Rev. Mary Playford in Long Melford and then moved house again so that this week, my final one in Bury St. Edmunds is being spent at Rev. Samantha White's home. Worship prep and another strawberry tea this week but I think I will manage.



1 comment:

  1. What a treat to find so many connections with your family, Mary Jane. I'm touched by that. I am also touched by the immense hospitality you are receiving, which we have experienced in England and Ireland as well. I think of how nervous people would be here in the States, on both sides of the door! There's got to be some good sermon material in there.

    ReplyDelete