Friday, July 9, 2010

Westminster in Cambridge - finally



I finally made it to Westminster College in Cambridge. This is the United Reformed Church tranining college and the place where Neil works. Neil was the one who, after a chain of emails, was the one who helped make my placement in Bury St. Edmunds possible. I am really thankful for all that he did and glad that he knew Samantha and I could come here to Suffolk. I loved seeing the college and learning about the two sisters who provided the resources for the college. I can't wait to read their biography in Sisters of the Sinai. I got the grand tour including a chance to go up the tower in which the Westminster Confession is kept. Pretty exciting stuff. I was unable to stay and read in the library but there may be another day. In light of all the things I am learning it might be a place I come back to study in - to learn more details for an even longer paper - or maybe I'll just come back as a tourist in the future. Time will tell....





Samantha had an appointment with Neil so I skipped off and explored a bit of Cambridge. It is a great old city with a modern feel. The college complexes seem a bit more spread out and in an hour I only got a glimpse of things but... a fine glimpse it was. The sky is perfect blue (Yes I am spending the summer in England and the sun is shining). The spires pierced the sky and inspired lofty thoughts - one certainly feels smarter there.







One of the ways to see the colleges is to take a ride in a punt - a long low boat that is poled along the river and allows you to see the backs of many of the colleges. We didn't have time to take a punt trip but I did see lots of people enjoying the river and the glorious summer day.

We are now back in Bury St. Edmunds to finish up Sunday services so we can enjoy tomorrow and yet another strawberry tea.










No comments:

Post a Comment