Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Preaching and school




I preached on Sunday to a small but wonderful congregation. I have to admit that I did cry a bit before I could begin the sermon. I was really overwhelmed standing where Thomas Sowter had stood - to preach to people who are also decedents of his faith - it was a moment I won't forget easily. The picture here was taken after the service and isn't in perfect focus but - it is a memory nevertheless.


I moved house on Sunday to the Sinclar's and I am well taken care of and even have fresh homemade cookies by my bed in case I get hungry in the middle of the night. That is highly unlikely as the lunch and tea are delightful. Tomorrow night will find lots of guest for a soup and stories night. Should be fun.




This week finds me in lots of different ministry settings - the local church here in Bury St. Edmunds, an Anglican/URC congregation in Wittlesford and in at a local school "Church Day" in Duxford. It continues to interest me to see the different way that school and church are connected. Today the children had 3 different workshops and a trip to the local redundant Anglican church that is on the historical registry but not used as a local house of worship. It was built in the year 1100 and there is graffiti from 1636! Some things sadly never change.




When Rev. Whitehead enquires with families about why they don't go to church the response she gets is that the children get the stories in school. Families do tend to go to church on Christmas Eve and her congregation swells from the normal 20 to 250! She was quite surprised the first year but looks at is a way to at least have some connection with the larger community.




Tomorrow I am off to the local hospital to spend the day with the Chaplin so again I will be learning something new. I am very thankful for all the work that the folks here have done to make my learning experience so diverse.


No comments:

Post a Comment