Thursday, June 24, 2010

show and tell

What a great week of learning and visiting. It is interesting for me that the church and school connections are significantly different than in the States. Here many pastors go to local state run schools ("public schools" here are private) and do assembly where they talk about God, Jesus and the Bible. I believe other faiths are also invited but I can't say that for sure. I went with Rev. Samantha White, my main host, to a school for the severely handicapped to do an assembly on the wonders of summer. It was interesting to hear from her how she has learned to make the assemblies very multi-sensory as there are children who cannot see and or relate to visual or auditory cues in a more traditional way. I was so privileged to be able to join her as we passed around fresh strawberries to taste, herbs to touch and smell, pine cones to touch and roses to see and smell. There were moments when the children were waiting patiently and there was an unusual hush across the room. Some children were not able to engage except with their sense of smell. It was wonderful to see their bodies relax ever so slightly when they breathed in the fragrance of a beautiful summer rose. God's miracles speak directly to the heart.

Tuesday I was show and tell at Rona's school. In the past she has brought many a pet as show and tell so the teacher wondered if I would show up in a cage. Thankfully I was able to walk to school and then shared where I was from as well as a Native American story. I always enjoy the opportunity to tell a story and I am thankful for the opportunity.

Around here, well throughout Suffolk, there are many houses that are painted pink - Suffolk Pink to be exact. The house I am staying in is Suffolk Pink both inside and out - I had fun painting Rona's room pink - only two walls though to balance all that color - She loves it and we will have all the details together by the time I leave on Sunday to move to another host family. The family has decided to seriously consider moving and so the push is on to prep the house for an estate agent. There is lots to do but significant energy and desire so I think it will happen. The challenge will be maintaining the preparation with three kids and two dogs in the house at the same time. I truly wish them the best of luck.

Today I spent the day in Sudbury so that I could get my picture taken for the local free paper. They wanted a picture of me with the photo of my great grandfather as the Church Secretary had provided a story about my family connection. I will be interested to see if it makes the paper at all and if so what the article actually says. How fun. Here are the doors of the church and the sign outside - pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. What a glorious accounting you have given of your connections, learnings and the blessings of this experience. I am so thrilled that you are doing well - I've been following along, but wasn't savvy enough to sign in as a "follower" until now. I have all of your documents and all is well in order. Keep soaking it in! You are truly a brilliant ambassador for Garrett-Evangelical. Thank you!!! peace, Ann

    ReplyDelete