Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Too Amazing!

This was an amazing day but first.... I finished up my first month in Oxford in a happy way - at Gay Pride. As I mentioned before the congregation in Oxford has a wonderful ministry to the LGBT community and on Saturday there was a parade and festival as the culmination of PrideFest. It was fun to see the table for FirstSunday proudly displayed and the congregation's ministry being recognized and consistently engaged with the community. The entertainment was fun and the weather fair. I ended the evening at the Reading Gay Choir's spring performance and have to say I think it was more enjoyable than watching the England vs. USA World Cup match - England is very much looking forward to Friday to have a little stronger showing and the flags are flying here in support.

Sunday I took the bus across the country to Cambridge and was deposited on Parkside Bus stop which was, low and behold, along side a park! There was a festival going on so I lugged my suitcase across the field and had an elderflower presse drink (Lovely and so much like in the books I am reading) and some Thai food amongst the families having fun. I was collected by the pastor I will be working with for this month, Samantha White. I am staying with John and Jo French and their three children and two dogs and two rabbits. It is fun but I am led to believe a bit quieter than normal as the boys are off the Devon coast sailing for the week. I am happy to have five year old Rona as my housemate. We get along smashingly.

Monday began with a trip to the North Sea in Brightlingsea for an ecumenical clergy meeting. The conversation focused on safe sanctuary issues and requirements for background checks for people in churches. I have dealt with this issue for a number of years and was able to share a little but their current frustration is in understanding the forms that have come from Church House so.... I was quiet. After meeting for a while we moved to the Scooby Snax fish 'n chips restaurant where I had, rather tried to eat a medium portion of plaike fish. My 88 year old seat mate devoured all of his! After returning to Bury St. Edmunds I walked around the town and took a few pictures -actually more than 100 but who is counting with a digital camera.
This morning was off to Sudbury where amazing things happened. We were there for a magazine (newsletter) meeting and in conversation after the meeting I mentioned that my great-great grandfather, Thomas Sowter had been a congregational minister in Sudbury in the 1860's. Low and behold I was in the very church that he served!!!! One of the members took me to the 'history' corner and there was his picture!!! It was taken off the wall and presented to me to keep. I will preach in Sudbury, in the very same pulpit on June 27! I get quite choked up thinking about it and realizing that when I got the contact with Bury St. Edmunds never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would have the opportunity to come, 149 years later, and preach in the same pulpit. I am beside myself. I will have the opportunity while I am here to explore his life and times and really get to know and share in the history of the church in Suffolk and, well.... I am overwhelmed at the grace of God!!! The picture here is of the Pulpit area in Christ Church in Sudbury! Imagine me there in a few short days.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's Fish n Chips! Put a little Malt Vinegar on that. Yum...my mouth is watering.
    Keep up the wonderful posts- Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly cried when I read this post. What a connection; you must have felt it deep in your bones. It really is a small world, especially God's world which has nothing to do with geography.

    ReplyDelete