Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cotswold's and Harris Manchester

After a quiet morning the Harris' took me for a quick driving tour of the Cotswolds which began nearby in Woodstock at the grave of Winston Churchill. The entire Churchill clan is burried there and it is not but a short distance from where he was born. A life so important but with a beginning and end that are only a half mile apart. We then drove to Birbury but got there through several other towns on back road that were narrow and harrowing due to the number of potholes that have yet to be repaired after the very severe winter. Poor Francis was relegated to the back seat and after two days of gardening and Roberts driving I think she was in much need of a cup of tea, aspirin and sleep.

I was dropped off at Harris Manchester college where I was to dine as the guest of the Principal, Rev. Ralph Walller, PhD. I met up with him as the chapel service ended and we went to the Senior Common room with other faculty and three other guests for a party of 10 in all. We had wine and sat at on the window seat and had introductory conversations which was quite nice once my nerves were settled a bit. We then went downstairs to the dinning room and a steward rapped on the door with a large spoon at which time all the students who were assembled stood and were quite as we processed in. I sat to the left of Rev. Waller and we had wine, salad (with herring which I didn't really like), bread, beef stew with carrots and potatoes, lemon pudding and cheese and grapes. The conversations went smoothly and I didn't feel too awkward. After dinner Rev. Waller gave me a copy of his book on John Wesley and a book about the college. It was a lovely evening and if I get far enough along on my paper I will ask permission to read in their library for an afternoon in July. So.... I haven't had tea with the Queen yet but I have had dinner with people who have!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Jane,
    I'm loving your posts and pictures! We've been to England several times; have very good friends living in Chester, so these beautiful cottages and gardens look familiar. The Cotswolds are wonderful.
    It doesn't surprise me that you are out and about, meeting all kinds of people. You are courageous in more ways than I can count, large farm animals included! I'm intrigued by this journey and not sure I could do it as well.
    Great to be following along from across the pond.
    Blessings,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete